What is waterjet cutting?
Waterjet cutting combines the use of water and an abrasive pressurized to 60,000 psi and forced through a small hole. The result is an exceptionally precise and accurate cut for virtually any material.
Why use waterjet technology?
- Waterjet machinery will make extremely precise cuts. The cutting tool is controlled by computer and can utilize CAD drawings to generate custom designed components
- No heat is generated during the cutting process. Heat is absorbed by the water and transferred to the catch tank
- Waterjet cutting will not create mechanical stress in materials during use
- With the relatively low level of sideway or downward force during cutting there is very little movement of material while cutting. This means there is less of a need for fixturing materials to limit movement during cutting
- Fast setup and programming of machinery
- Virtually any material with a thickness of 6 inches or less can be cut with a waterjet- MetalArt’s table will cut materials up to 6’x12’x6”
What materials can be cut with the use of a waterjet?
Waterjets can be used to cut a wide range of materials including:
- Exotic metals
- Flammable materials